We hope you are enjoying our free workbook and guide to spring cleaning that went out Monday! As we are cleaning and purging our home offices we are garnering a lot of inspiration from some really pretty and functional spaces around the web. Check out a few of our favorites below and read on for our tips on creating a space for productivity.
Tips For Creating a Productive Work Space
1. Designate a space. Whether it is from your couch, a desk nook in your kitchen or a fully designated office room it is important that you define a space in your home in which you will work, file important papers and use as a home base.
2. Make sure your space is well lit. It is important that you are in a bright, well lit space to improve productivity. Dark spaces can hinder creativity and endorphin production (seriously!) so set yourself up for success by seeking out the light.
3. Have a planner or calendar nearby. Stay on track by seeing the bigger picture. Utilize a wall or desk calendar or keep your monthly planner nearby, so as you take on jobs or schedule activities you ensure you aren't overbooking yourself.
4. Designate an organization system. We love filing boxes and storage containers-- the prettier the better! File papers as soon they are printed or received, organize and store receipts by quarter to make tax season easier and place things in areas that make sense and won't feel cluttered. Papers like invoices, receipts and other things that might overwhelm you, should be stored out of sight. In order to stay on task, your work space should be cleared, not to remind us of other tasks that might cause stress.
5. Leave Space for Inspiration. Create an environment you love to work in. Hanging pieces or art that inspire is a great starting point! Whether it is swatches of fabric, tear outs from magazines or quotes and lyrics printed out, surrounding yourself with things that evoke emotion and passion is a great idea! Sometimes staying inspired can be as simple as adding a candle or fresh flowers to your space. Did you know that new smells and sights can stimulate our brains and promote productivity?! Make sure your work space energizes you, so when you sit down to work (in a comfortable chair, might we add!) you are ready to make things happen.
This graphic by Birchbox, shows off a few key elements to a productive workspace! What a helpful image to help us visualize the necessary items for our office space.
Now it's your turn to tell us how your first week has been going. What are you throwing out and cleaning? As our guide reminds you, this is the week to keep and refine systems or tangible items that work for your business and throw away systems or physical stuff that doesn't work. Leave a comment below, we would love to chat with you about it!
The free week two workbook will be headed to your inbox this Monday so be sure to sign up for the newsletter to receive that!