Creative Spotlight: Kim of Flutter Magazine
Happy Monday, friends! We love introducing you to our favorite and most inspiring people in the creative industry, so we're overjoyed to welcome Kim, the owner and creative director behind Flutter Magazine. Flutter is one of our favorite print magazines, because not only does it showcase beautiful weddings and ideas, it also just feels like a work of art due to the many illustrations, use of color and pattern, the stories told, those thick matte pages, and endless inspiration! It truly does double as a coffee table book. We hope you enjoy learning about Kim and the inspiration behind Flutter.
When did you start your business-- in this case, your magazine?
We released the first print issue of Flutter in October 2013. Seems like yesterday!
Where does your passion stem from?
To have a print magazine was always a distant dream. As a child I would collect all the really cool promotional pieces and magazines that would come in the mail. I also love any coffee table book I can get my hands on. Hence the hybrid you see today in Flutter.
The idea of the magazine started in the Spring of 2013 in Santa Barbara, California. At the time I was a photographer and lifestyle blogger. I saw firsthand the rise of highly visual digital media and the fall of advertisement-cluttered print.
Beautiful print imagery is a driving factor in what inspired me from a very young age to take up photography and a field in the creative arts. From the imagery to the paper quality, texture, and color, a fine print piece elicits a sense of luxury...a distinguished sophistication.
With the disappearance of the tangible beauty and captivating editorial content, I set out to break the mold; designing a “refashioned magazine” in a first-of-its-kind fine art periodical dedicated to wedding and entertaining...the art of celebrating chic.
Debuting in the Fall of 2013, a talented group of friends in the industry and I brought 108-pages of editorial content to life with stunning imagery, fresh inspiration, and trendsetting style. Thus, Flutter Magazine was born with Inspiration To Make Your Heart Skip A Beat. :)
It's really important to note that Santa Barbara was and continues to be Flutter's muse. If you're not familiar with it, the coastal city is one of the wedding meccas of the world! It's also a city that thrives on a community of independent artists that feed off of each others creativity. I am forever indebted to its coastal chicness, timeless beaut, alfresco charm, florally abundant, whimsical, wine-centric self.
If you could go back and give yourself one piece of advice what would it be? (business, social media, etc.)
Every day I learn something new. However, I'd have to say make a basic business plan before you start a thing! Know it will constantly change and update, but it's so important to have a somewhat strategic path to guide you. As a creative I fought this in the beginning, letting the brand come to life organically...making all sorts of decisions on a whim. In my fantastical world of rainbows and butterflies everything was magically just going to figure itself out, right? Inevitably I hit a point where I started flailing. In my head I had an idea of what the brand should be and where I wanted to see it go, but it wasn't until I put it all to paper that I really truly understood what I was trying to do. I'm constantly reviewing it to stay on track. It's crazy how a simple exercise can prove to be so effective!
What is one way you stay inspired outside of your industry/field?
I run or hike. Thank goodness for my chocolate lab pup! She keeps me active and always exploring new trails. Wild and cell phone free!
Favorite project AND most challenging project?
- Favorite: This is so hard! There's a different high that comes from every experience. Last Fall I had the pleasure of working with Sara Fitz to design a 2017 calendar filled with all the things that make our hearts flutter. She's an incredible watercolor artist. Everything from polka dot bikinis (July) to a bicycle with champagne and flowers (May) to hot cocoa with Flutter marshmallows (December)... I'm OBSESSED! I can't wait to see what we come up with for 2018!
- Most challenging: Our annual Spring Bridal Astrology Guide. It's typically a 2-day shoot we do every January. It takes months to plan for. It's a massive production with so many moving parts. It's stressful, exhausting, and a whirlwind of fun!
Three favorite things right now:
- Flowering! I am at peace with flowers and always joke that I will be a floral designer in my next life. In an effort to step away from my desk and take creative breaks, I have carved out a space in our backyard to make arrangements. I've also stocked up on the most heart-fluttering supplies from Terrain and Campo de' Fiori. My husband makes fun of me for having to style my space before I could style in it. :)
- France! I recently returned back from our #heartsafluttertour traveling through Paris and Provence with twelve women from around the world. I am still on a high and cannot believe we experienced all the beauty that we did together! It was so inspiring and I'm blessed for the new experiences and new friendships that will last a lifetime! We're sharing highlights from the trip in the new Issue No. 14!
- Kiehls Midnight Recovery Botanical Cleansing Oil. I use it right before bed. It has primrose and lavender essential oils. I swear I sleep better because of it...not to mention my face feels refreshed in the morning!
Thanks for being here, Kim! You can follow along with Flutter on instagram below:
You'll also want to pop by our Instagram today to enter to win a copy of the latest Flutter Mag issue! Here's the cover by Lacie Hansen:
Have a wonderful day!